I’m looking for the perfect Managing Editor.
This person will be my right hand for all things related to content. Some of things you’d get to work with:
One of the world’s most popular HR blogs (this one and assisting with the Workology site.).
My HR and recruiting podcast, Workology.
Weekly email newsletter to 30,000
The development of 1-2 webinars a month
Social media accounts
New top-secret projects for 2015 and new book stuff
Things would start with a paid one-month trial, probably around 25 hours per week. If things go gangbusters, there would be potential to expand significantly from there. Competitive pay and tons of interesting options.
To help me focus exclusively on writing, interviewing, and other content creation, I need someone who’s expert at handling quite a bit.
The Managing Editor’s responsibilities would include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Spearheading the editorial calendar for the blog, podcast, email, etc. for the next 6-12 months. We have 18 regular writers on the blog. You would be publishing your own content 2-3 times a week.
- Responsibility for the weekly email newsletter including light html and interfacing with our design team as part of its development.
- Helping me reach out to would-be podcast guests and book them, prep them, confirm them.
- Helping me draft blog posts and other assignments that I don’t otherwise have the bandwidth to adapt.
- Working with our content development and design team.
- Sourcing great guest posts and guest authors.
- Assisting in the development and execution of our webinars and managing our learning management system.
- Helping plan and implement content promotion. This would include social accounts and including our conference promotion and parties.
- Experiment with different ways of increasing traffic (syndication, managing SEO/SEM contractors, etc.).
- Light sales and responding to reader as well as would be client and advertisers questions.
- You’d be working behind the curtains on a lot of interesting projects. You’ll see all of my projects first, and get to play a critical role in their creation and launch.
- I will ask your advice and look to you for original ideas, new experiments, and more.
- You will have access to my personal and professional network.
- I can tell you that working in HR is never dull.
- I don’t care when you work as long as you are available for quick check ins and a short call 1-2 times a week.
Please note that most of the below are “must have,” not “nice to have.”
First and foremost, you need to understand mine and the blog’s goal which is to serve as a source of information, education and fun for the HR and recruitment industries.
- Have at least 2 years of writing/editorial experience.
- Be a great writer and equally good at editing/improving other people’s writing.
- Have managed tight deadlines and successfully put together editorial calendars.
- Ideal: Have managed other writers.
- Ideal: Comfortable with WordPress.
- Can manage yourself remote.
- Know light html.
- Be extremely organized and able to interface and manage creatives.
- Working in HR is preferred but not required.
I am an idea person and therefore sometimes challenging to work with. I am very driven, Type A personality and have high expectations but also extremely direct.
How to Express Your Interest
- Send me your LinkedIn profile.
- Record a 1-5 minute introductory video. Sending me a YouTube link or private Periscope is fine.
- Share 2-3 content examples from your portfolio.
- Email me at jmsquared(at)me.com.