One of the most important things about your brand is your attitude. People want to be around confident, motivated, polite, friendly, helpful and happy people. Not surprisingly, those are the same kind of people who normally get hired first. Write down the exact words that you want people to say to describe your personality.
Here are 5 ways to help you to remain positive and enthusiastic in the workplace or on campus.
- Watch your words and actions. Don’t be a big complainer. It’s very unappealing to be around people who are always complaining about their life of finding fault with others on a regular basis.
- Take the high road. Give people the benefit of the doubt as you would hope they would to you. Find the positive things to focus on and discuss. Stay professional and positive with fellow students and coworkers. Don’t stoop to the level of people with negative energy.
- Change your Perspective. There are many things you can do to quickly change your perspective and brighten your mood. Exercising and spending time outdoors should give you a rapid attitude adjustment. Playing with your pets or taking a walk can break up your study or work routine. Volunteering is a wonderful way to feel better about yourself. Being inquisitive and interested in people you meet every day can be very motivational.
- Have a positive greeting.What do you say when someone asks you how you are? Do you say “Terrific!” or do you say “Really stressed out”? Having a positive greeting has many advantages. First it sends the right message to the person you are greeting. Second it will affect how you feel at the time. Tell others that you are terrific and you will have a much better chance of actually feeling terrific.
- Smile. Smiling is very powerful. It projects happiness to others. It also makes you happier. Try smiling to strangers in stressful situations and see what happens. Smile to the airline employee who is having a rough day; smile to the waitress that is dealing with a line of customers waiting to be seated; smile to the sales clerks you encounter. Make your smile the default expression on your face.
Your attitude is in your control. Employers are looking for motivated, enthusiastic people who are excited about learning and growing in their organizations. Make sure your attitude is showing all the right qualities every day. How do you adjust your attitude?