This post was originally posted on May 6th, 2011 by one of my first HR twitter friends, Trish McFarlane. Trish is writing about another one of my first HR twitter friends, Steve Boese who I remember in early Twitter days as @sbjet. Take a look and realize that social media is about supporting one another.
I need your help today.
I start this post by saying that Steve Boese has no idea I’m writing this. If he did, he may try to dissuade me. That said, I have far too much respect for him not to share this. You see, my friend Steve is going through what many of us have experienced at some point in the last few years….a layoff. And while not completely unexpected, he certainly didn’t think his company was going to lay off a group of leaders last Thursday.
To tell you the most important thing about Steve is to share that he has strong character and is the kind of guy that gets the job done. He received this devastating news just one day before HRevolution. He could have decided not to come. But he didn’t. He held his head high and came to the event that he co-creates and spent time around the very group of people from our industry who “get” what he does. To quote the leaders in the HR Technology space:
“Steve, at the HR Technology Conference, we always cared about your “day job” because you are expert in running HR systems, especially from Oracle. Plus teaching others about it. Combine that with your social experience and media knowledge, and you’re one special guy. We look forward to your being a panelist at this year’s event in Vegas, in addition to hosting an HRevolution session with Trish on our own program, after doing the full-tilt boogie HRevolution in our hotel on the Sunday afternoon before our opening reception. In short, you are a Renaissance Man in my world.” Bill Kutik
“I’m confident that your next best opportunity will find you.” Naomi Bloom
Here’s what you need to know about Steve:
- He has over 15 years experience implementing enterprise technologies for Human Resources, Recruiting, Finance and Distribution, including significant experience with Oracle E-business Suite Applications in numerous industries and locations. He’s served in a wide range of roles from team member, to team lead, to Project Manager.
- Steve is an award winning Human Resources blogger, speaker, and host of the weekly HR Happy Hour radio show, a live call in show about HR, Talent Management, Recruiting and technology now entering its third full year.
- Steve worked as a Applications Consultant for Oracle Corporation and has also owned a consulting company.
- He is an Adjunct Instructor at RIT, teaching a Graduate course in Human Resources Technology.
- Steve spends his free time as co-founder of the HRevolution event. This is a progressive learning event for HR and business professionals that focuses on discussions around HR issues, technology, and media. HRevolution is in it’s third year and Steve is one of the organizers of the event each year.
What We Can DO to help:
Each person who reads this blog has business contacts. I ask you to think today of at least one person you can put Steve in contact with, one person you can pass his information to, one suggestion you can make to help Steve in his search. One of the most important reasons to build our network is that when we’re in need, our community can circle the wagons. Let’s do our part to help Steve today. His contact information is below.
Email – email@example.com
LinkedIn – www.linkedin.com/in/steveboese
Phone (585) 317-7492
Twitter – @SteveBoese
I decided to post this today since I’m flying to Vegas for HR Demo. My hope is that someone from the conference or who is interested in the event will read this post and give Steve a call. He’s a great guy and one of the leading innovators in the HR Social Media spaces. He’s also my friend and someone I very much respect.